Categories
Microsoft

Disable Search Assistant on XP

  1. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
  2. Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState subkey.
  3. From the Edit menu, select New, String Value.
  4. Enter a name of Use Search Asst
  5. Double-click the new value, type no in the “Value data” field to use the old search tool, and click OK.
  6. Close the registry editor.
Categories
Hardware

Fix a Actiontec GT701

Here is the fix for the Actiontec GT701 DSL router

 
echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
echo 3600 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established
echo 60 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close_wait

Link to article at DSL Reports

Categories
Microsoft

Disable Autorun on XP

Another solution is go to the following key in the registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER-> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows ->CurrentVersion ->
Policies -> Explorer
Create a REG_DWORD – NoDriveTypeAutoRun , give it the following value –
0x10
Then restart explorer.

Categories
Linux

Setting default editor on Linux

# update-alternatives --set editor /usr/bin/vi
Categories
Linux

Using Apache WebDAV on XP

Using WebDAV from XP is a problem due to bugs in XP implementation of WebDAV support (it calls web folders).

Here are some solutions I’ve found:

http://ulihansen.kicks-ass.net/aero/webdav/

http://www.chasen.name/apachewebdavforwebfolders(webfolders)

Categories
Linux

Mounting an old LVM disk

DHCP server died at work today. We mounted the old hard disk on KNOPPIX and thought it would be easy to get the files off the bad hard disk. Well wouldn’t you know, the old dying hard disk is running LVM. Here are the commands needed to mount an old LVM disk.

vgscan
vgchange -a y
mount -t ext3 /dev/my_volume_group/foo /mnt/backup
Categories
Uncategorized

Blackberry Pearl 8100 and IOGear GBU321 Bluetooth Adapter

I finally got the Blackberry Pearl to use my IOGear GBU321 Bluetooth Adapter. I had to remove the IOGear drivers, and trick Windows into thinking this device is certified so it would use Microsoft drivers. After that, a few setup steps and it was working!

Link 1

Link2

Categories
Linux

Updating to Debian Etch broke Amavis-Stats

Updating to Debian Etch broke Amavis-Stats:

Amavis Detection Statistics
Daily Graphs
amavis-stats::error: rrd_graph(): 1
amavis-stats::error: rrd_graph(): 1
Weekly Graphs
amavis-stats::error: rrd_graph(): 1
amavis-stats::error: rrd_graph(): 1
Monthly Graphs
amavis-stats::error: rrd_graph(): 1
amavis-stats::error: rrd_graph(): 1
Yearly Graphs
amavis-stats::error: rrd_graph(): 1
amavis-stats::error: rrd_graph(): 1

I searched Google for a solution but every other post on the subject suggested downgrading rrdtool. This is not an appropriate fix. I debugged the actual amavis-stats script and here is my fix. It involves commenting out some lines in /usr/share/amavis-stats/amavis-stats.php:

Line 650:

// $opts[] = "COMMENT:amavis-stats v$asVersion ";
// $opts[] = "COMMENT:$enddate \\r";

Line 771:

// $opts[] = "COMMENT:amavis-stats v$asVersion ";
// $opts[] = "COMMENT:$enddate" . str_replace(":", "\:", $enddate) . " \\r";